- 1 C. Gluten-free All-purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Cane Sugar
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ C. Soy Free Vegan Butter Spread, melted
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 C. Pitted Dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Prep the chopped dates by soaking them in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the crust ingredients to a mixing bowl and fold with a wooden spoon to incorporate.
- Press the dough evenly in the prepared baking pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until firm but not browned.
- Allow the shortbread to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- To make the caramel, drain the dates and place them in a food processor or a high-speed blender. Add the vanilla extract and puree until smooth.
- Once the shortbread has cooled, spoon the date caramel onto the center and spread evenly toward the corners and sides.
- Cover and chill the shortbread with date caramel for at least 1 hour before lifting out of the tin by the parchment paper and cutting into small, narrow bars.
- Prepare a rack with a baking sheet underneath and a second baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Whisking frequently, melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate into a piping bag or a cone made with parchment paper.
- Place the bars on top of the rack and pipe the melted chocolate over the bars, allowing the excess to coat the sides. Before the chocolate sets, use a spatula to transfer them to the lined baking sheet. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.