Peppermint Icebox Cake
Chocolate Cake Layers:
3 ¼ C Gluten-Free Flour Blend
1 ½ C Turbinado Sugar
¾ C. Cocoa Powder
2 ¼ tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Baking Soda
¾ tsp Salt
2/3 C. Vegan Butter, melted
1 ¾ C. Dairy-free Milk
1 ½ T. White Vinegar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and prepare a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar into the dairy-free milk and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, sift together all dry ingredients.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the melted margarine, dairy-free milk mixture, and vanilla.
5. Slowly incorporate the dry mixture into the wet ingredients.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes until cracks appear and a knife comes out clean.
7. Once the cake has cooled completely, carefully lift from the pan by the parchment paper and level the top with a cake wire. Using the cake wire, cut the cake laterally through the middle. Next, cut the cakes in half, vertically to get four cakes of equal dimensions.
1 ½ C. Reserved Chickpea Liquid (aquafaba)
1 1/2 tsp. Cream Of Tartar
1/4 C. demerara syrup (1:1 turbinado sugar and water, reduced)
1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
1. Using a hand mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the aquafaba and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
2. Slowly add the remaining ingredients and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
6 Mint Chocolate Cups
4 Candy Canes, crushed
To assemble the cake:
1. Prepare a bread loaf pan with parchment paper. Trim each cake to fit inside.
2. Starting with cake, create layers with peppermint cream as desired. For multiple layers, place in the freezer for several minutes in between.
3. After placing the top layer and chilling, garnish with Mint Chocolate Cups and crushed candy canes.